Lakeland College first opened on November 17th, 1913, under the original name of Vermilion School of Agriculture. It was born after the Vermilion Board of Trade lobbied the provincial government for a school specializing in agriculture. It would later become the third post-secondary institution in Alberta. It was retitled Vermilion Agricultural & Vocational College in 1963, Vermilion College in 1970, and Lakeland College in 1975. Lakeland College is a publicly funded institution that counts on two campuses in Alberta. It’s the only inter-provincial college in Canada since it serves Alberta and Saskatchewan residents as well.